Friday, May 29, 2009

We are... the people of rock and roll

Group Members:

Alex D
Jonathan
Bruce

Our theme covered the media revolution of the time period known as "Rock 'n' Roll". We tried to cover the different aspects of rock and roll as well as the different influences that it had on American Culture. We also wanted to show the viewer several of the musical movements that went into making rock and roll. We displayed several topics, such as the anti-war perspective of the American youth, and the rapidly changing fashion choices of the era. We also had a section about punk rock, one of the many musical revolutions that was sparked by the Rock and Roll movement.

Among our "Found Art" items, we had several original album covers from popular artists of the time period, such as Rainbow, Deep Purple, Queen, and Roger Waters. These artists were in the thick of 80s rock, shelling out deep songs which moved their listeners. Among the other items were a pair of headphones, which one would find at their average record store, and a guitar pick, which would have been a concert-goer's collector's item. We also had several copies of original pictures of notable artists of the time period, such as the O'Jays, Robert Cray, Rose Royce, and Pink Floyd.

We used the Internet to obtain our quotes. I scrounged around my dad's expansive rock music collection to select the albums which I particularly liked or thought had interesting cover art. We also found art in encyclopedia's and then scanned the picture into a computer. We also bought some items which would have been around at the time period.

I would plan better if I were to do this project again, as we were extremely pressed for time at the end of this project. If I had a re-do, I would also try to find more Found Art, such as a record to express music or a headband which could have been worn by your average rocker. Also I probably would labor more extensively over the actual assembly of our project, but with more time I am sure this would have happened.


My advice to next year's class is exactly what I would do differently if I could do this project again. Make sure you get your found art earlier or else your project will turn into a mad rush for items and your project will not be as great as it could be. Also make sure to meet all the milestones or else your grade will suffer.

-Alex Doundakov

PS: Go to http://timeline.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page --> interesting!

6 comments:

  1. I'd have to agree with you on the advice. I think my group had an easier time just because we had more than Rock n' Roll.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your topic, my group chose rock too! We did it a little differently though, we talked about how Rock was affected by the events in the time period rather than how rock influenced culture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an interesting topic! It looks like you really covered a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting topic. I like the different take, how music influenced culture, rather than the other way around.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow lots information. I like your topic. well done

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sweet work Alex. It seems like you really did your work and research here.

    ReplyDelete